RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

I BOUGHT SOME PROPERTY THAT HAS TENTANTS THAT ARE ON A 6

Customer Question

I BOUGHT SOME PROPERTY THAT HAS TENTANTS THAT ARE ON A 6 MONTH LEASE WITH PREVOUS OWNER .I SENT THEM A NOTICE TO VACATE AD GAVE THEM 30 DAYS , THE TENTANT ADVISED ME THAT HE HAS NO INTENTIONS TO MOVE UNTIL HIS LEASE WITH PRIOR OWNER IS UP AND WILL NOT BE PAYING RENT , THE LEASE IS UP DEC 15TH WHAT ARE MY LEAGAL RIGHTS
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. When you bought the property, you stepped into the shoes of the previous owner/landlord. As such, the lease agreement would still remain in effect and they could stay until it expires. However, they still have to pay rent. I am not sure their reasoning for thinking they can stay and not have to pay you but if they do not pay the rent when it is due, you can proceed and evict them, if they fail to cure, once receiving notice. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!