How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 118723
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Renting in Maryland, we turned in the keys without getting a

Customer Question

Renting in Maryland, we turned in the keys without getting a final inspection because the office said we didn't need one. A month or two later, Rental office says we owe for carpet repairs, stove cleaning, trash pickup etc..., but they're unable to provide pictures of the "damage" or a receipt from a repairman. This is only our second apartment and since we had no issues leaving our first, we didn't take pictures of the general vacuuming and cleaning we did to avoid such charges. What are we to do; just pay? The amount is not large and has now been sent to collections.
Also, We rented our apartment under a Sure Deposit, meaning they'd keep the security deposit regardless and use the money to do anything they needed.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you have pictures or some proof that there was no damage and they have no proof, then you need to send a letter telling them you object to the damage charges. If the security deposit covered all the damages you should not owe anything. However, if the amount is small, then you need to weigh your costs of taking them to court and what you will get in return. However, if it is sizable then you need to pursue it in court.