How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask WiseOwl58 Your Own Question
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 3731
Experience:  Experienced real estate lawyer and real estate broker.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
WiseOwl58 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in Salem, Oregon. I purchased a mobile home in a park

Customer Question

I am in Salem, Oregon. I purchased a mobile home in a park this year. I have 3 school aged children. I pay my rent on time and have never heard any complaints against me. The manager is now telling people (others- so far he hasn't spoken to me) there will be a new manager and this will now be a 55+ park as it once was several years ago. Can they do this? If so, how much notice do they have to give me to move? If I refuse, what can happen? Will they purchase my home from me?
I am not sure of any of this and would normally think he was confused. However, I do see an awful lot of homes with children cleaning up their yards, and there are two homes that now have for sale signs. This activity just began two weeks ago. I have a year lease. It ends in February, but now I am wondering if they can just choose not to renew.
I am a single mom of three elementary school aged children and we have just gotten settled here. I don't have any desire to move, and I will not be able to afford
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 1 year ago.

No, under Oregon law they cannot change it retroactively in your case. In other words, they are free to make the part 55 and over, but they would have to "grandfather" you in, meaning that you get to stay even thought the rule would apply to new people coming in. Therefore, your housing situation is not in jeopardy, and you do not have to move. They will be required to renew.

If they are serious about 55 and over, you might ask them to PAY YOU to move out. In other words, offer them a deal where you would move, but they would have to pay you a lot to get out, i.e., cover your moving costs and give you some extra money that you can use however you like, then they can have their park the way they want it, and you can gain personally from the situation.

Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck. I wish you all the best.

Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 1 year ago.

Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.