Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

I signed a year lease last March apartment owned by a Family

Customer Question

I signed a year lease last March for an apartment owned by a Family Trust. The trust was recently broken up by some members of the family. Can they legally raise my rent before the end of the lease in March?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

They can not raise the rent during the term of your lease. You have a binding and enforceable lease. They have no more right to unilaterally change the terms of that lease during its term by raising the rent than you would have to notify them you wanted to reduce the rent. Even if the trust is terminated and the title to the property is transferred to the beneficiaries of the trust, those beneficiaries take the title SUBJECT TO your lease. As such, they have to honor the lease as written.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!