How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 29803
Experience:  JA Mentor
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My x and I are selling a house in tarpon spring florida

Customer Question

My x and I are selling a house in tarpon spring florida which we bought together abought 8 years ago. He has listed a number of things he wants me to help him pay for.....bright house, TV cable in the park, duke energy, rent water and taxes in the park while he looks for a buyer......which could take years. We both put the same amount down and have separate titles. He informed me he would take any amount I owed him out of my half. Can he do that?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

You don't have any obligation to pay for things like cable TV, heat, electricity, and other utilities if your ex is currently living in the house and he is the one using those services, unless there is somewhere where you agreed in writing to pay for them. You could be required to pay for half of any association fees or taxes, unless the two of you agreed otherwise when you bought the house (or when it was decided that you wouldn't live there).

Note that if both names are ***** ***** title, you need to sign off on the sale - and you can refuse to do so unless you have an attorney handling the sale who is going to put the proceeds into a bank account and split them fairly. He cannot just decide he's going to take money from your share for monies you never agreed to pay him. And if you've agreed to the sale, you may want to consider hiring a realtor who will make efforts to sell the house in a reasonable time frame.

If your ex is just stalling because he doesn't want to move, then you could also file a lawsuit against him asking a judge to order that the two of you choose an impartial realtor and sell, then split the proceeds 50/50. This is called Partition by Sale.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. If I did not address the specific thing that you wanted to know, it may not have come across clearly to me, so please restate that question. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.

Related Real Estate Law Questions