How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 12209
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


Customer Question

Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help if I can. Do you have any specific questions? I just want to make sure that I understand what legal information you are seeking.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there paper work we need to get in order to recover the money we are still owed.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again. I just noticed that I answered your previous question about the check.

Are you asking about the paperwork needed for filing a lawsuit? If so, how much are you owed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just under $5000.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again.

Since the amount you are owed is under $5000, you can sue the homeowner in small claims court. Is this in NYC, or elsewhere in NYS?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The job site was in lake placid, we live 4 hours away in upstate n. y. and the home owners live in New Jersey
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again.

The forms you need are likely at this website, which I found in a Google search:

Unfortunately, the website seems to be down at the moment (or at the least, I can't get it to load from my computer ... maybe you'll have more luck). In any event, you have the option of either suing in Essex since that is where the property is located, or suing in NJ, since that I where the defendants live. I assume you prefer Essex, which is why I tried to pull those forms. As an aside, you can also contact the police in Lake Placid and complain that you were given a bad check and let them investigate. It's possible that the police will contact the other party and that will scare them into issuing a new check. It's probably a long shot, but doesn't cost you anything.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help. Greatly appreciated!!!!!!!
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You're quite welcome!

Related Real Estate Law Questions