How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry Esquire Your Own Question
Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  JA Mentor, multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation & admin
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Dimitry Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Received a 5-day sheriff notice to move out, but I did not

Customer Question

Received a 5-day sheriff notice to move out, but I did not receive any documentation for a court date. Is there any way to request more time?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

You can request more time by contacting the courts, and file a motion to 'set aside' based on lack of notice, specifically that you were not informed of a hearing and were not given an opportunity to appear. This must be done on Monday when the courts are open, you really cannot file anything today or tomorrow. I would suggest you try to find the courthouse that issued this order, and see if a law library is open today--go there to obtain a template for your motion to set aside, write it up over the weekend, and then file it first thing Monday morning.


Dimitry, Esq.

Related Real Estate Law Questions