How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 31782
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How after I file a complaint do I have to personally serve

Customer Question

How long after I file a complaint do I have to personally serve the party. What if I miss that date?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

NY Civil Practice Rule 2-306 says that you have 120 days from the date the complaint is file to serve the person. Here's a link to the rule:

IF you're not going to be able to serve the person within that time, you can file a motion with the court and ask for an order granting you an extension of time to get the person served.