How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 41561
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was deeded property(house) from a relative by quit claim

Customer Question

I was deeded property(house) from a relative by quit claim deed and the person doing so gave themselves a life estate in the property. Now that person wants to sell the property that was deeded to me. The house is in Tennessee if that matters. Thanks PB
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.

The relative needs your consent here to do so.You could quit claim your interest back to them or sign the sales contract and closing documents.But unless you agree to do this there can be no sale.You have the remainder interest from what you state, you are both the legal owners and have to agree to a sale.

If you want to give up your interest you would just do a quitclaim, it conveys any interests that you have.

Sample quit claim forms..

You sign it in front of notary and it gets filed in deed records.Again he has to buy out your interest or you give it up here by quit claim deed.You have a remainder interest and it has to be resolved.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Related Real Estate Law Questions