Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor, multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation & admin
18572087

Neighbor's junk is on my property and has been there least 3

Customer Question

Neighbor's junk is on my property and has been there for at least 3 years which is when I inherited the property. Two years ago I wrote to the landowner and he immediately called me to say his brother would move things right away. Didn't happen. Now I've had the property surveyed again, extra pins put in to clearly show their "stuff" is being stored on my land. What is my next move?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

You can legally send them notice, in writing, and a deadline (say 14 to 30 days) that if they do not move the items, you will dispose of them as you see fit, and you will pursue them for damages to your property, for trespassing, and for storage fees. That, likely, should get them moving. And if it does not, speak to a local attorney, draft a letter, and then take them to court for the fees stemming from storing their items and for damages to your property from the trespassing.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.