Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

Can rental leases state the lease agreement is in effect to

Customer Question
the end of the lease...
can rental leases state the lease agreement is in effect to the end of the lease " even if your are dead" ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
10/16/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Dimitry Esquire, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

The answer is 'yes'. Death does not terminate a contract or a contractual term. So if someone passes away in the middle of their lease, their estate would still be liable for the remainder of the term. Having said that, most landlords are fairly reasonable and can work with the executors of the estate to wind down the contract or release early, but it is understood, and no such language is necessary, that death does not terminate a lease.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.

Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney