Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
8534270

Ray. I own a parcel of land that a public utilities company

Customer Question

Hi Ray. I'm Nancy. I own a parcel of land that a public utilities company is wanting to install a small building on. They are wanting to "purchase" a "section" of my lot. I have been reading up on Easements. I currently have an agreement with them regarding another building they have on my property but they are paying me monthly rent. They are wanting to incorporate the other building next to this one, hence I will be losing $600/year by signing an Easement or selling them a portion of that lot. What do you suggest?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.

You should consider a counter offer here to lease it to them as an easement as you are doing now.You can offer it to them for say $1,200 or whatever amount you think the add on is worth here.You don't have to sell it to them, tell them you need monthly income rather than lump sum for tax purposes.

If they insist on a sale pitch them a number here based on what it would rent for here for say 30 years, if for example you think it is worth $1,200 thats $36,000, maybe tell them $50k for a start.Always start high here and see where you end up.You can come down you cannot go up.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Nancy please let me know if you have more here it is not a problem.