How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 55452
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am trying to see if I can obtain title to a section of

Customer Question

I am trying to see if I can obtain title to a section of land fronting my current property through adverse posession.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Can you provide me a bit more information about your specific fact situation? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought my lot in 2004 and built house on it in 2005. I improved my lot all the way to the road including landscaping grading irrigation etc. The developer and now hoa has a quit claim deed for the right of way 33 feet from the center of the road into this area which I have improved and always maintained. They have never done anything to this piece of land and I was hoping to claim it using " squatters right" /adverse possession.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for following up. Adverse possession is the process of claiming title to real estate by taking it and occupying it for a period of time. Adverse possession requires the following conditions to be met: i) actual possession of the property; ii) open and notorious use of the property; iii) exclusive use of the property; iv) hostile or adverse use of the property; and v) continuous use of the property. In South Carolina that continuous period is 10 years. But, South Carolina also requires color of title means a claim to title which on its face appears to support a person’s claim to title, but is fact defective and therefore fails in establishing title to the real estate. Examples would be: i) a deed whose execution was defective or is in question; ii) a claim arising from another person’s Last Will and Testament, or iii) two or more persons have received separate deeds to the same parcel of real estate. If a person adversely possesses a property with no “color of title” or no written instrument or court decree, then only the actual premises occupied (such as the home that was built and the surrounding area) could be adversely possessed while the improved area wouldn’t be included. The applicable SC statute is South Carolina Code Title 15: Civil Remedies & Procedures, Chapter 67: Recovery of Real Property, Article 3.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Related Real Estate Law Questions