Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

Can board members view security tapes to monitor what unit

Customer Question

can board members view security tapes to monitor what unit owner speaks to another?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) please wait to rate until I ask you to do so. It may take a few replies for me to be able to render an complete answer. I will let you know when I do.

1) What state is this in?
2) Who owns the cameras - the HOA or private individuals?
3) Are the cameras pointing at common property such as a driveway cared for by the HOA? Or where, exactly?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 florida
2 hov
3 cameras pointed in mail room
president views tapes to see who speaks to her opposition and calls other board members to review
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

So the cameras - owed by the HOA - points to a common area mail room. Correct?

Does it record both video and audio?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
only video . president wat hes to see what board member speaks to opposition
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

The cameras belong to the HOA and the common area is not a private area. In Florida, it is prohibited to "to secretly view, broadcast, or record a person, without that person’s knowledge and consent" in circumstances where the person is privately exposing the body in an area where there is a reasonable expectation of privacy. Fla. Stat. § 810.145.

However, the cameras are not hidden and the mail room arguably does not have an expectation of privacy. Ergo, the Court is likely to rule that the HOA's officer/director can view the tapes.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith by rating me positively.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!