How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 31733
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an inherited interest in some real estate (a farm

Customer Question

I have an inherited interest in some real estate (a farm with house) in Oklahoma, jointly owned by me and 3 other relatives in equal shares. Can I file for partition there? If so, how do I do this and what is involved?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Yes, you can file a partition action to divide the property equally between the owners OR the partition can be used to force the sale of the property. Usually, dividing property is do-able when you're dealing with land only.......but when there's a house involved, it usually results in one owner buying the other out.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Either way, you would have to file a partition lawsuit and name each of the other 3 relatives as defendants.....once the action is filed and they are served, the court usually will order an appraisal to be done to set the property value. Then, the judge will usually give each owner the opportunity to buy the other one out. If there are no takers, the property would be sold at auction and the proceeds would be divided between the owners based on their ownership interest.