How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother in law lives in senior apartments with her live in

Customer Question

My mother in law lives in senior apartments with her live in aid (her son) in Los Angeles, CA, he recently had an altercation with security and as a result the office manager decided to evict her (them). Is this legal since she had nothing at all to do with the altercation? Her son offered to move out and see if they would let het continue to live there but they wouldn't allow the offer.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your family's situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

As he was not only an aid to his mother, but he is also a legal tenant in the unit, the landlord has the legal right to evict both of them based on the disruptive behavior of just one of them, under CA law.

While the law would allow them to agree to allow her to stay so long as he goes, there is no law mandating that they agree to such an offer. I'm sorry, but they can demand that both your mother in law as well as your brother in law relocate.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,


Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I forgot to mention he is not on the lease, does this still apply?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.


I actually presumed that he was not on the lease. But under CA law he is nevertheless a legal tenant and guest of your mother in law. Therefore, she may be held responsible by the landlord for his abiding by the rules and when he created the disturbance, the landlord gained the right to demand that they both relocate.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,