How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask J. Warren Your Own Question
J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 2249
Experience:  Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
J. Warren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter (is in )and I (I'm in SC.) have been struggling

Customer Question

My daughter (is in Virginia)and I (I'm in SC.) have been struggling with an apartment complex since 2013. They claim we owed money after we vacated, with notice. We have all paper work with lease papers showing that we did not owe any monies. We tried to get this solved early on, by telephone. They would not listen. My daughter has had her pay garnished, her tax return garnished. I am on Social Security, working part time. They have tried to garnish my employment and bank account. They continuously attach court and attorney fees. They very well know that I cannot attend court due that I am in S.C. This is all over stating we owed $200. In fact, they owed my daughter $68.00. Please can someone look at our problem....We cannot afford an attorney at this time, but surely need some help to have this apartment complex to stop...I feel that they are a scam. The apartment is in Chester, Va.. My daughter still is in Va. Again, we have all paper work and need some legal advice/help. Thank you. xxx xxxxxxx and xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxx
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 years ago.

My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure what you are looking for. That is, are you asking what the process is to try and remove the garnishment order?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
we want this whole process stopped and money returned that we did not owe, that they have already garnished. We want a real estate attorney to look at our proof with notification to the debt collector/attorney. They continue to make court dates and attempt to collect what we do not owe. I believe this is a scam. We cannot afford a large attorney fee. Please advise and/or refer an attorney at pro bono in Chesterfield County, Virginia. Thank you.
Expert:  J. Warren replied 2 years ago.

I am very sorry you are dealing with this. As a condition to being allowed to provide information to customers on JustAnswer we agree not to refer matters to ourselves or lawyers or law firms. However, I can refer you to the Virginia legal aid and the State Bar Referral Lawyer Service that can assist you with locating a lawyer at reduced cost to represent you.

Here are the links:

All my best & encouragement.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. Please note that you are asked to rate my courtesy and professionalism, and not whether the answer supports your legal position. I only receive credit when rated “ok” (3 stars) or higher. If for any reason you feel that a low rating is appropriate, please first give me the opportunity to address your concerns by clicking the "reply" tab.

All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you.