Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

Can a 9 unit condo association in Connecticut change their

Customer Question

Can a 9 unit condo association in
Connecticut change their bylaws so that unit owner cannot rent their units to section 8 applicants? Can we also change the bylaws to set the limit on how many of the 9 units can be rented.. We want a maximum of two of the nine units alloted for rentals (Currently two units are being rented.)
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Can a 9 unit condo association in Connecticut change their bylaws so that unit owner cannot rent their units to section 8 applicants?

Yes. Rental restrictions are common. Section 8 tenants are not a "protected class" under any federal or state discrimination law, so restricting rent to non-Section 8 tenants is arguably lawful.

Can we also change the bylaws to set the limit on how many of the 9 units can be rented..

Also yes. As stated, rental restrictions are common in HOAs. Amount of tenants, length of tenancy, etc - this can all be restricted.

We want a maximum of two of the nine units alloted for rentals (Currently two units are being rented.)

Yes, this is lawful. HOAs often only allow a certain percentage to be rented, and it is first come first serve as to which owner fills up the allowed spots.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith by rating me positively.

Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!