RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

My partner and I are trying to refi our home in Sarasota.

Customer Question

My partner and I are trying to refi our home in Sarasota. Each time we supply answers to the mortgage broker, mountains of additional questions are sent to us. Both of us have 800+ credit scores and are retired. Question: we think at this point we are being discriminated against due to age. What can we do?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 2 years ago.

Good evening. What leads you to believe this has to do with your age? What type of questions are you asked?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
AFter sending over 4lbs of requested documents, we are now being asked to send very detailed info on very small matters (credit card dispute of $7.99; award letter on a pension account generating under $1000/year, etc) This latest go round has about 10-12 such questions and will require hours of work to comply. Also, the 45 day commitment period for the lock-in rate has now been "moved up" to 2 weeks

Thank you for the additional information. It certainly seems odd that the broker would not want to get the refi done, since they tend to make a nice commission off of it. As such, it is in their best interest to get this done. Of course, the lender they are placing you with could have stipulations which need to be cleared and this information is needed to determine if you have the income to make the monthly payments. Of course, if you think they are discriminating against you, you can file a complaint and I have provided a link below for that or go to a different lender, who may not have such tight requirements for the refi. You have no obligation to go forward with this lender, so advise them you are not going to provide this and move on and file your complaint.

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/fair_housing_equal_opp/online-complaint

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.