Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
18215332

Closed on a house on July 1. Ever since moving in have

Customer Question

Hi. Closed on a house on July 1. Ever since moving in have discovered electrical flaws and after tonight's big rainstorm a massive leak through the basement window. Things the seller obviously knew and didn't disclose or repair. Learned from a neighbor that my kitchen was destroyed in a house fire a few years ago. Also not disclosed. Hired a home inspector who is not worth anything. What recourse do I have if any. Should I just leave it alone and go through the home warranty or home insurance?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 years ago.

Should I just leave it alone and go through the home warranty or home insurance? If you have a home warranty, that would be the way to go. Unless that damage is so severe that you wish to try to rescind (void) the sale, then employing experts, including legal, to prove a damage case would probably cost more than the repair work. There is no duty to disclose the old fire damage which has been repaired.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
read the home warranty. very sketchy. seems like it only covers appliances. is this a home insurance claim (natural disaster) or am I just screwed?
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 years ago.

Defects in condition due to wear, tear or just ordinary aging are not covered by homeowner's insurance. Only damage by accident, or natural causes are. Sorry, but I'm afraid that the last phrase you used is the answer.