TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

Last year I own a property (second home) in Florida. The

Customer Question

For the last year I own a property (second home) in Florida.
The homeowner association wants to put new restrictions on leasing & buying:
a) You can't lease if you do not own the house for at least 3 years
b) Leases can't exceed 12 months
c) Approval of new tenants buyers or occupants after credit check and charge the highest allowed amount for the application and credit check.
IS THIS LEGAL?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

Yes, what you describe is lawful. There is no law that would prohibit the HOA from implementing those new restrictions. If a homeowner does not like them, then that homeowner will have to try to get the board to change it's mind, or vote them out of office. An HOA is run like a democracy, so it's up to the homeowners to vote in board members that have their interests in mind.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating to close out this question (and please remember that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!