Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I am planning to buy a loft in Naples, Italy, Have never

Customer Question
bought property overseas. Concerned that...
I am planning to buy a loft in Naples, Italy, Have never bought property overseas. Concerned that I may make a costly error inadvertently. I plan to pay in full, my bank is Chase (I am a Private Client), the seller is Italian and the loft will be in my name and my son's who resides in Italy, My son has power of attorney to sign on my behalf and a local architect/realtor advising him. Do you have any advise?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/29/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question. First, I want to congratulate you on your plans. I am a U.S./Italian dual citizen who not only spent most of the summers of my youth in Italy, Naples in particular, but am also, in the near future going to be looking to buy property in Italy.

There are definitely some real differences in the process, and it can get expensive to fix problems. I would say that first and foremost it is important that you trust the people who are handling this for you. You will ultimately need a Notaio that you trust to handle the contractual portion of your transaction. In addition to the main issues of ensuring that you are getting what you think you are, if this property is an already existing property, there can be issues of rights of first refusal and inheritance issues. I would highly recommend that you read in their entirety the information at the following two links. The third link is to the U.S Embassy's recommendation for a Neopolitan Notaio.

http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/NR/rdonlyres/90DC112D-2FCC-45EC-921F-6814743CFC4B/0/Guida_immobiliare_Boschini.pdf

http://italy.angloinfo.com/housing/buying-property/

http://italy.usembassy.gov/lawyers-naples/notaries.html

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if you have them. If not, if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 29th. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.

Marsha411JD, Lawyer