RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

My father owned a 3 family house in Brooklyn, in which he

Customer Question

My father owned a 3 family house in Brooklyn, in which he also resided. He had a girlfriend who lived with him for the past 3 years. My father recently passed away and I am his only daughter and am inheriting this property. What rights does she have? She obviously doesn't pay any rent. Can I reposes the apartment for myself?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 2 years ago.

Good evening. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Unless he left a will, which gave her a legal right or interest in the home, she would have nothing. The fact that they dated for 3 years and she lived there as his girlfriend, would not give her any right to stay, if you wanted her to vacate. She does reside there, so if you wanted her out, you would need to give her at least a 30 day notice / one month to vacate and then if she failed to leave, you could proceed with the eviction to have her removed. You can not use self help to get her out and ideally you would be able to agree to a date in which she will vacate.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.