Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

My son age 39 and s girlfriend age 35 bought a house

Customer Question
My son age 39 and...
My son age 39 and his girlfriend age 35 bought a house together after an 8 year relationship. The relationship fell upon hard times and the young lady was not working and was unstable a far as working. My son and she split. She has been nothing but ugly for the past month. Since they own the house together and no one is living in house he wants to put it on the market. She is not agreeing to sign paperwork to put house on market because this is the last connection she has with Kevin. Please give me an idea of how to get her to sign without going to a lawyer and incurring more bills. The mortgage is 1200.00 a month and she has not put a penney into house. Help
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/26/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Please give me an idea of how to get her to sign without going to a lawyer and incurring more bills.

.

To be very honest with you, if she won't voluntarily agree to sign the listing agreement, then there is no way to force her to do so without court intervention.

.

Son would have to file a legal action called a "partition suit" where he gets a judge to issue an order to sell the house either by listing it with a realtor and then going to a public auction or just going to public auction right away. This is an absolute right that son has and it can't be denied.

.

So if she is still emotionally attached and unwilling to acknowledge that the relationship is over, the partition action may be the only way to completely sever ties with her so both she and son can move on. This is one of those situations where there are no short cuts to take even with an attorney.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

thanks

Thankyou. She has been so unkind.mean and harassing to my son and he has took it hoping to get hersignature. I was just hoping for easier way. He has also accepted all financial responsibility. Sometimes life is very unfair.

You are very welcome. Yes, unfortunately some people can't accept the fact that a relationship is over so they will do everything that they can to make things difficult and prolong it rather than just moving on.

.

That is why it is never a good idea to buy a house with a boy/girlfriend as too many things can go wrong resulting in a situation like this...

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer