Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I live in Yakima county state outside city limits. Land

Customer Question
I live in Yakima county...
I live in Yakima county Washington state outside city limits. Land (privately owned but unoccupied) next door is being used as an unattended shooting range on daily basis, sometimes all day long. The shooters are shooting from about 100-150 feet from our door. Are there any laws that limit distance from a residence or noise ordinances?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/24/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Dimitry Esquire, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Shooting ranges are permitted based on how the land itself is zoned. Please review the zoning with your local zoning board, and review this link to see whether or not this action is permitted:

http://www.codepublishing.com/WA/yakimacounty/mobile/?pg=YakimaCounty15/YakimaCounty1518.html

As far as noise limits, if they are licensed as a valid gun range, their noise is an exception under laws which I will provide you below. But if they aren't licensed, the code has a 200 feet limitation as anything above it would be seen as a violation. Please see the codes for yourself:

6.28.030 Public Disturbance – Noise Unlawful When.

(1) It is unlawful for any person to make, continue, or cause to be made or continued or any person in possession of property to make, continue, or cause to be made or continued or allow to originate from the property any sound which:

(a) Is plainly audible within any dwelling unit which is not the source of the sound or is generated within two hundred feet of any dwelling unit;

(b) Either annoys, disturbs, injures or endangers the comfort, repose, health, peace or safety of others.

(2) Sound which is “plainly audible” is sound that can be understood or identified.

(Ord. 5-1987 (part), 1987).

6.28.040 Exemptions.

The following sounds are exempt from the provisions of this chapter:

(1) Sounds originating from aircraft in flight and sounds which originate at airports and are directly related to flight operations;

(2) Sounds created by safety and protective devices, such as relief valves, where noise suppression would defeat the safety release intent of the device;

(3) Sounds created by fire alarms;

(4) Sounds created by emergency equipment and emergency work necessary in the interests of law enforcement or of the health, safety or welfare of the community;

(5) Sounds created by the discharge of firearms in the course of lawful hunting or target practice activities;

(6) Sounds created by natural phenomena;

(7) Sounds originating from forest harvesting and silviculture activity, and from commercial agriculture;

(8) Sounds created by auxiliary equipment on motor vehicles used for highway maintenance;

(9) Sounds created by off-highway vehicles while being used in officially designated off-road vehicle parks. Such off-road vehicles are nevertheless subject to the provisions of RCW Chapter 46.09;

(10) Sounds created by warning devices not operated continuously for more than thirty minutes per incident;

(11) Sounds created by the operation of equipment or facilities of surface carriers engaged in commerce by operating on the railroad;

(12) Sounds created by construction or refuse removal equipment;

(13) Sounds originated from officially sanctioned parades and other public events;

(14) Sounds created by motor vehicles while being driven upon public highways. Such motor vehicles are nevertheless subject to the provisions of WAC Chapter 173-62;

(15) Sounds originating from motor vehicle racing events at authorized facilities;

(16) Sounds created by unamplified human voices from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.;

(17) Sounds created by lawn and garden equipment from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.; and

(18) Sounds created by lawfully established commercial and industrial uses.

(Ord. 5-1987 (part), 1987).

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.

Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney