How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 39149
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate broker -- Retired (mostly)
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm the only person in the house deed. I need to add my aunt

Customer Question

I'm the only person in the house deed. I need to add my aunt who lives with me to the deed. I tried to use Quik Claim Deed buy Fairfax County in Va. wants to charge me 50
% tax. They told me to use different type of deed to add my aunt to save money. Any advise what kind of deed I need to use?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 2 years ago.


Under VA Code § 58.1-811(D): "No recordation tax shall be required for the recordation of any deed of gift between a grantor or grantors and a grantee or grantees when no consideration has passed between the parties. Such deed shall state therein that it is a deed of gift. [emphasis added]"

So, the answer to your question is that you need to use a "gift deed."

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Expert:  socrateaser replied 2 years ago.

Hello again,

Do you need further clarification of my answer, or do you have what you need?

Thanks again for using Justanswer!