How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 9338
Experience:  Since 1983
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ray, I had water damage at my house in Beaumont, California

Customer Question

hI Ray, I had water damage at my house in Beaumont, California in March 2015. Emergency service that drained the water, removed the carpeting and baseboards cost about $13,500 and restoration cost almost the same amount. I have a homeowners insurance from the HO Association, and two other insurance companies. The HO Assn paid for most of the damage and the other two split the $13,500 paid to emergency service co. It was only in late August 2015 that my house was restored to its original condition. Fortunately we have another house in that my wife and I are able to use which could have been rented. FMV of the rent would have been $1,800. My question is whether I could file a claim for 5 months for not being able to occupy the house that was water damaged for 5 x $1,800 = $9,000. What do you think? Thanks for your advice.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

Does your homeowner's policy have a coverage called something like temporary living expenses?