How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 55594
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My neighbors has let two bushes grow to the point that they

Customer Question

my neighbors has let two bushes grow to the point that they block our view to check for on coming traffic when we back out of our drive way. since we have adjoining driveways I know it blocks there view also. we have ask them to trim the bushes down and they have refused. it is very dangerous to us and to oncoming traffic. is there anything we can do>
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

Good evening. You can handle this yourself or you can have the State DOT or your city/county engineering and planning commission do it for you. Each state and/or city/county has strict requirements regarding "line of sight" issues...i.e., issues which block a driver's line of site. If you call either or both and explain the situation to them, it's likely they will notify your neighbor and demand that the bushes be removed or trim because they cause a driving hazard. Once you notify the DOT, they are required to investigate the issue. And/or you can send your neighbor a letter by certified mail demanding they remove/trim the bushes to remove the threat without a short specified period of time or you will have no choice but to contact the city/state regulators to deal with it and file a civil suit ordering the removal of the bushes as a private nuisance because they directly impact your health and safety. In my experience, people usually just contact the government authorities to let them deal with it to avoid the direct confrontation with their neighbor.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!