Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

On Thursday the 17th I called my landlord in confidence to

Customer Question
complain about all the extemely...
On Thursday the 17th I called my landlord in confidence to complain about all the extemely loud bombom music playing outside, all the young dope smokers that do not even live here hanging with some smokers that do live here outside smoking and saling their dope,not to mention all the drinking and some fighting going on. This is almost every night especially Friday and Saturday and Sunday nights. Next month I will be living in this complex for a year. We all know one another.now on the 17th I made my call to the landlord because my mother had to walk through 3 people smoking weed.I have never been so embarrassed in all my life. They just laugh. Did not try to put it out or even move. My landlord promised never to mention my name. I believe her because she didn't last time. I walked out of my apartment to ask Ms. Pat about the car her son is saling, her words to me was (I have nothing for you don't speak to me ever again) I said why what is going on. CAROLYN sitting next just stuffed her shoulders. Then Mr. Mike came out I ask him what's going he said( there is alot of crap going on around here) I said ok and that concerns me how?then the old man that lives across the parking lot darted over and said we are pissed and we dun with you you are snake telling what we do back here. I said oh my God, that old man said what God you serve, I said obviously not the God you serve..Me calling my landlord never concerned Mr. Mike nor that old man.I went in got my cell phone and put the landlord on speaker to let everyone who had my head on a chopping block that their names were not mentioned. I then told all of them that I learned 3 lessons today y'all were never my friends, yall automatically blammed me because I am white, and thanks for sticking together and having your court and hanging me by the neck. Now, I get dirty EVIL LOOKS and lots of WISPERS. I live in FEAR, ESPECIALLY IF I HAVE TO WALK TO STORE IN FRONT OF THE APARTMENTS AND ACROSS THE STREET TO THE APARTMENT LAUNDRY. I am disabled I have to walk with a cane or a walker. I use to get help. What I would like to know is there a way I can sue for discrimination, defamation of character, harassment, and retaliation. I am a 45 year old disabled woman who now lives in FEAR even to go check my mail...please help me..what should I do??
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/18/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, what occurred is not illegal or against any law that you can sue over. Neighbors being mad at you because they think you told on them is not an action you can sue over. It is not discrimination because they are mad because they think you are a rat, not because you are disabled. Also, it is not the landlord doing this to you, it is other tenants, so that would not be discrimination.

I am afraid that you are going to have to seek to move when your lease is up, since the landlord does not want to clean up his property and does not care about what goes on there, legally all you can do under LA law is leave and move out.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer