Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

Is it legal to replace damaged carpet with used carpet?

Customer Question
Doesn't seem very sanitary. I've...
Is it legal to replace damaged carpet with used carpet? Doesn't seem very sanitary. I've had 3 floods in my hallway and the first Two times no one was sent to extract the excess water out of my carpet. Just last mo my kitchen sink overflowed and my carpet was soaked. My smelled the wet carpet and chewed a small hole in it. This weekend my air conditioner pipes backed up and my floor was soaked again in another section. This time they sent a carpet co. out and he decided to replace a 10ft x 4ft section but he installed used carpet from an old tenant. My carpet was already damaged by all the mildew and was worn in spots cuz I have lived here 5 years. They expect me to pay for some of it cuz of the hole and the parts of the carpet that was worn. Doesn't seem sanitary at all and I don't feel that it is right that I have to pay for used carpet.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/18/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: N Cal Attorney, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
N Cal Attorney

Thank you for your question.

How old was the carpet? See

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/sec-deposit.shtml

N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer