N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Since 1983
9653905

Is it legal to replace damaged carpet with used carpet?

Customer Question

Is it legal to replace damaged carpet with used carpet? Doesn't seem very sanitary. I've had 3 floods in my hallway and the first Two times no one was sent to extract the excess water out of my carpet. Just last mo my kitchen sink overflowed and my carpet was soaked. My smelled the wet carpet and chewed a small hole in it. This weekend my air conditioner pipes backed up and my floor was soaked again in another section. This time they sent a carpet co. out and he decided to replace a 10ft x 4ft section but he installed used carpet from an old tenant. My carpet was already damaged by all the mildew and was worn in spots cuz I have lived here 5 years. They expect me to pay for some of it cuz of the hole and the parts of the carpet that was worn. Doesn't seem sanitary at all and I don't feel that it is right that I have to pay for used carpet.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

How old was the carpet? See

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/sec-deposit.shtml