Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

In North Carolina, are landlords required to give tenants

Customer Question

In North Carolina, are landlords required to give tenants 30-days' advance notice of rent increase?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

I'm presuming you are a month to month tenant. As such, any change in the terms of the tenancy is legally deemed to be the termination of the existing month to month tenancy and an offer of a new tenancy on the new terms. As such, in order to implement such a change, such as a rent increase, the tenant must be given written notice of at least 30 days. Then, the tenant has the right to accept that change beginning in 30 days or to terminate the tenancy. The landlord has no legal right to impose a change immediately.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!