How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex Esquire Your Own Question
Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 16630
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Real Estate Law Mentor
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Alex Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in a house in Boynton Beach Florida with my

Customer Question

I live in a house in Boynton Beach Florida with my girlfriend. I inherited the property from my mother.does she have the right to any proceeds of the house when I sell it
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** am a Florida licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Is your girlfriend on any documents related to the ownership of the house?

Did your girlfriend contributed her own money toward any improvements done on the house?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no her name is ***** ***** any of the documentation she also has not contributed any improvements to the structure of the property she does help with some household bills
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see where you cannot call me are you still seeing my questions?
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your follow up.

Generally, since Florida does not recognize any type of "common law" marriages, as long as, the live in girlfriend's name is ***** ***** the title to the house and she has not contributed to any improvement related to the property, she would not be generally legally entitled to any proceeds if the house owner by her boyfriend is sold.

I wish you the best of luck!

Related Real Estate Law Questions