How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 55607
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been living in a house that was previously abondon

Customer Question

I have been living in a house that was previously abondon for almost ten years. i want to take possession of the house and currently live in the home. What can I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

The house actually belongs to you under the Texas adverse possession laws. The way the law is structured is that it gives the true owner a certain period of time to reclaim the property after you have taken possession adversely. In your case, you are referring to the 10 year statute. So, now that 10 years has passed, the true owner no longer has the right to contest your ownership. But, in order to get clear title to sell the property, you will need to file a suit to quiet title with the court to have the court issue an order proclaiming you the true owner by adverse possession.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!