Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I have a fence on the side of my house that borders two of

Customer Question
my neighbors' back property lines...
I have a fence on the side of my house that borders two of my neighbors' back property lines. I moved in this house in August 2014 and you could not even see my fence because of the previous owners neglect of the yard work. I have been working on clearing this area since I moved in and it is a bigger job that I can handle. Once I exposed the fence, I found that my fence was collapsing toward my property due to my neighbor's overgrown bushes were growing into my fence and pushing it over. I asked him to please cut back his bushes, do I could fix the fence. He agreed to do it but threw all his clipping over to my side of the fence. I wished now I would have just thrown them back over, but I did't. I cleaned them up. So, anyway, now I have decided to hire a landscaper to come and spray for the weeds, clean up the area and plant sod. My landscaper wants me to get signed agreements from my neighbors that they will not sue me or my landscaper if any of the land on their property is affected by the spray (i.e. killed off. I personally don't think either of them will notice because the area around the fence on their sides are poorly kept. Is it legal for me to ask them to sign such a document? What if they refuse?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/13/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Loren, Lawyer

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

It is not illegal to request a release for possible damage due to the use of weed killer on your property. Though, you may not be protected if the landscaper does not use the spray properly or there is a spill. In other words, such a release may not protect you if the landscaper does not use the spray in a lawful manner.

But there is nothing whatsoever illegal in requesting the release from neighbors.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Are you online with me?

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Loren, Lawyer