How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 7404
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in the process purchasing a home. There is a lot

Customer Question

I am in the process purchasing a home. There is a lot adjacent to the home that I am planning to purchase as well. Planning to combine those as one deed to facilitate the loan process. My question is - after the closing I want to subdivide the properties
under two different deeds. What is the criteria, cost and duration of the process. Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 years ago.

I am not sure that I understand what you wish to do. If the two lots are in an existing subdivision their legal descriptions most likely cannot be changed to combine two separate lots into a single lot. Further, if that were in fact possible, then it would be very difficult and frightfully expensive to ever subdivide them into separated lots again. Having a mortgage on the combined description would make it doubly difficult because the bank would have to release its mortgage on a portion of the land. It would be best to leave the lots separated and not include the second lot in the loan process.

I hope that this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating. That is the only way I will be compensated for assisting you. Bonuses are appreciated too. I will be happy to answer follow-up questions which relate to this one. Also, since we are not acting as your attorney be sure to confirm our information with a local attorney. Thanks for choosing JUST ANSWER.