Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

We recently purchased undeveloped residential property and

Customer Question
have discovered that one of...
We recently purchased undeveloped residential property and have discovered that one of the neighbors had installed a "French drain" that would empty on to the property. We discovered it when mowed the property and found a 5 inch PVC pipe running from their property approximately 3 feet onto our property. May we ask them to remove it?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/10/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Loren, Lawyer

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Not only can you ask them to remove any unauthorized encroachment by their drainage pipe onto your property, you can demand they remove it. If they refuse you can remove it yourself to the property line.

Additionally, in altering the natural flow of water from their property to yours they are liable for any damage caused by the new course the water will take on your property.

Are you online with me?

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Loren, Lawyer