How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 33014
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We recently purchased undeveloped residential property and

Customer Question

We recently purchased undeveloped residential property and have discovered that one of the neighbors had installed a "French drain" that would empty on to the property. We discovered it when mowed the property and found a 5 inch PVC pipe running from their property approximately 3 feet onto our property. May we ask them to remove it?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Not only can you ask them to remove any unauthorized encroachment by their drainage pipe onto your property, you can demand they remove it. If they refuse you can remove it yourself to the property line.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Additionally, in altering the natural flow of water from their property to yours they are liable for any damage caused by the new course the water will take on your property.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Are you online with me?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Related Real Estate Law Questions