WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced real estate lawyer and real estate broker.
62735101

Disconnecting utilities that are included in rent. I have

Customer Question

Disconnecting utilities that are included in rent. I have three units that I am currently working on. I plan on make all three units ALL BILL PAID. Atleast until I can have seperate meters put in. But all units will have water included in the rent. Now the question is, Can I cut utilities for non payment of rent? I know the Texas property code Chapter 92 address sub-metered electric but this will not be sub-metered. It will be a fixed amount per unit that I will figure into the rent when I rent the property. Also I cannot find anything that relates to water. SO Can I legally cut the water and or electric if the tenants do not pay rent?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 2 years ago.

Under Texas law you legally can cut electricity and water, but you would be better off just starting an eviction procedure. The reason for that is that if the tenant is hurt because no electricity, such as falling in the dark or unable to use medical equipment, you can be held liable for those injuries. So you are better off just starting eviction procedures and not taking such a risk for yourself.

Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you> I wish you all the best.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If the law allows me to do it then how can I be held liable for their failure to pay? That would be like holding the electric company liable.