Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

We are doing a private sale of our home to a neighbor. he is

Customer Question
paying cash for the house...
we are doing a private sale of our home to a neighbor. he is paying cash for the house. we are using standard chicago title sales and disclosure forms.
Our house has had foundation issues, all of which have been professionally addressed with a foundation/peering company. We gave full disclosure to the buyers verbally and also in writing about the foundation issues, but the chicago title forms don't allow for much formal space in the documentation (ie, we have structural engineering report, site plan that shows what was done, etc)...there's no place to include that in the disclosure, except to give a 3 line discription of the problem and the solution. That's fine with me, and since the neighbors are aware of the foundation issues, it's probably ok...I am just not sure to include the full documentation in the chicago title forms or just do the summary and not make it a bigger deal than that.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/9/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Richard, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Richard, Lawyer

Good afternoon. The best way to deal with this is to reference in the formal space allowed..."Please see the attached Exhibit "A." Then attach the full disclosure that you provided your Buyer, in addition to the engineering report, etc., as Exhibit A. This just protects you from someone later trying to allege that you didn't provide everything; it will present no problem now and it will clearly evidence that full disclosure actually occurred.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Lawyer