Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

I have a judgement and lien against me that I am trying to

Customer Question

I have a judgement and lien against me that I am trying to resolve but the debt collector hung up the phone when I asked them to offer a settlement. What do I need to do to pay off this judgement. How can I check to see if the interest they are charging is even legal. I live in Stockbridge, Ga
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, once they have a judgment lien they are the party in control. Offers in settlement rarely work with a judgment lien, because they know all they have to do is sit there and when the house sells they will collect 100% of what is due. So this is why they hung up on you.

As far as interest, in GA, the interest on a judgment is 7% unless there is some written agreement or contract specifying a higher rate. See GA Code 7-4-12.

You are going to need to contact them and not ask for an offer in settlement but ask for a payment plan they would accept to pay off the lien.