Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I have lived in this house and now it is listed for $350k

Customer Question

Hi I have lived in this house for 9years and now it is listed for sale for $350k and I pre-approve for that amount, the problem is the owner's realtor doesn't want to sell it to me, do I have rights?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Is there some reason why the realtor doesn't want to sell it to you?

.

Does the owner agree to sell to you?

.

Have you talked directly to the owner about buying?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The realtor doesn't state his reason and is being agressive of other potential buyers seeing the property, I have spoken to the owner and she says that the realtor told her that potential buyers can probably offer more money for the house. I want to know if I have any rights to buy the house 1st since I am currently living there and have for the past 9 years and have never paid my rent late.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Ok, then from a purely legal perspective, no, you don't have the right to force the owner to sell to you if they choose not to. They can legally refuse to sell even if you offer full price simply because they don't like you.

.

It may not be fair, but an owner can choose to sell to, or not sell to someone for any reason that they want, as long as it is not based on an illegal discriminatory reason (i.e. race, gender, religion, etc.)

.

The only exception would be if you had a written "right of first refusal" that gives you the right to purchase first before anyone else.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks