Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I am a retired professor from the University of the Punjab

Customer Question
(Pakistan). I emigrated to the US...
I am a retired professor from the University of the Punjab (Pakistan). I emigrated to
the US in 1997 and was naturalized in 2001. My former employer launched a cooperative housing society which offered me its membership and collected money in easy installments
from its members. The money was deposited in Society Account. With this money the society purchased a bulk of land. The land is being developed as a residential colony! Meanwhile the ensuing residential town has been sub divided into plots! I have been allotted a plot of 1/8 acre. The plot is under development and has not been handed over to me. The title of the land and its ownership rights has not been transferred to my name in Revenue Records or otherwise! According to me I cannot claim its ownership till the plot is handed over to me by the society and the necessary change is made in the Revenue Records! The Social Security Administration hold the view that mere the allotment letter entitles me to ownership rights. Please advise me about the legal position! Thank you!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/7/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The land under US law is being held for you in trust by the Society, which is why the SSA holds that it is your property as you are receiving an allotment for it. You would have to argue that this is similar to an irrevocable trust in the US and you have no control over the property and the only thing that should be attributed to you is the allotments you receive which are your income as the irrevocable trust (the society) owns and manages the land itself with you as beneficiary of the trust and that is why you receive allotments.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer