Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

Someone has purchased the lot beside me but my house has the

Customer Question
Someone has purchased the...
Someone has purchased the lot beside me but my house has the last accessible driveway as the property beside me is mostly rock and steep with no way to make a driveway. My driveway is narrow and runs up under my deck. Therewas no homeowner before me therefore no rights given as we made our driveway. What do i need to do to make my driveway inaccessible?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/5/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Legally, he would have to pay to make his own driveway. He cannot just use your driveway, that would be trespassing. If he tries to do so, you need to inform him of that. However, if there is no other way to access his property, he could actually sue you for an "easement by necessity" so even if there was no previous homeowner before you to give easement rights, when someone's land is "landlocked" they can seek to claim the access to their land through a easement by necessity.

Thus you cannot just "make my driveway inaccessible" and you will have to be prepared to negotiate a reasonable price for access or they can sue you for the easement by necessity.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer