Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

How can I get my 42 year old daughter to move out of my

Customer Question
house. She does not...
How can I get my 42 year old daughter to move out of my house. She does not work or help around the house at all. She doe not pay rent.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/5/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

You will have to sue for quiet title and/or ejectment. You cannot use the unlawful detainer procedures that are commonly used with a tenant who pays rent under a lease. You must give notice to your daughter that her "tenancy at will" is terminated, and that she has 60 days to vacate the premises (the law actually requires only a "reasonable time to vacate," but 60 days is probably reasonable, under the circumstances.

If she does not leave, you will have to sue as previously described. Regrettably, this type of lawsuit is a big pain in the ***, because of the unusual requirements. Unfortunately, it's the only way that has been allowed by the Washington courts. See Turner v. White, 115 Wash.App. 634.

If you need a link to a reputable lawyer referral service, please let me know that my answer is helpful, and I will be happy to provide additional information.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

socrateaser, Lawyer