Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

I am trying to purchase 2 lots and I have a contract signed

Customer Question

I am trying to purchase 2 lots and I have a contract signed by both party's now the owner wants me to purchase a lot with a home next to the 2 lots alson and has backed out of the sale because he want all or now. at no time during our negotiation was this an issue. Can I still purchase the lots with signed contract?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

No, they cannot demand an "additional" purchase unless this is an option they have in the contract. If there is a signed contract with a date to close, then unless he has a way to walk away per the contract, he is bound by it. If the seller walks away, the buyer can sue for breach of contract, asking for specific performance, or, the difference in what they would need in a similar purchase of a similar property, plus attorney fees.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.