How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 29822
Experience:  JA Mentor
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I get tenants which I just evicted in August, to pay

Customer Question

How can I get tenants which I just evicted in August, to pay the outstanding rent and the mountain of damages done to the property, when they are all on SSD. (They moved in a 4 bedroom home, 17 people, and two pit bull dogs, which had 8 puppies) I have taken them to court 3 times this year for non-payment of rent. The court held the monies in escrow for March, April,& May, which is the only way I got that money. They have not paid since May 2015. They have done over $15,000 damage and they were only since October 2014. I found out later, that they have rented 4 houses in 2 years, and destroyed them all. This was told to me by the Code Enforcement officer in the town. ( On the lease it specified 2 adults and 5 children. Thank you very much.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

You have the ability to file a lawsuit against everyone who was living in the house and contributed to the damages. A judgment is good for 20 years and it can be renewed. That means, if any of them ever get a job, buy a house, or accumulate assets, you can try to collect at that point. Everyone who contributed to the damage is jointly and severally liable, which means you can collect from whoever gets money first. You could also look into selling the debt to a collections agency - they'll give you much less than it's worth, but it might be preferable to nothing.

Another option is to contact your insurance company to see if your policy covers any of the damage done by the tenants. You can also look into filing a police report for intentional destruction of property, which is a form of criminal mischief. A judge can order them to pay restitution as part of a sentence. Honestly, if they don't work, it could take a long time to collect anything. And there are no guarantees. But you do have a right to try.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Related Real Estate Law Questions