Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

If your aunt had power of attorney grandma and the aunt died

Customer Question

If your aunt had power of attorney for your grandma and the aunt died with 1 surviving child and grandma is in the nursing home but have life rights and she passed and taxes are behind 3 yrs you move in and pay them what are my opinions for taking over the house & property my cousin hasn't said anything yet and grandma passed in may 2015 I moved in 12/2014 with taxes behind since 2012
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

If the house is still in grandmother's name, then you could potentially claim ownership of the house if you could maintain exclusive use and possession of the property for the statutorily prescribed period of time for "adverse possession". In VA, this would take 20 years under common law before you could file a "quiet title" action against the estate and claim legal possession.

.

.

thanks