Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

Our step mom of about 20 years is trying to sell off all our

Customer Question

Our step mom of about 20 years is trying to sell off all our Dad's property, as she has his power of attorney,we feel helpless. most of the land is old family land of our Grandparents that he paid taxes on and has no title for the land. Can she sell this
parcelof land.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thank you for that information. Unfortunately if she has a POA for father, and he doesn't object to her doing so, or is unable to object if he is suffering from an illness, then she would have the legal authority to do so. As for the family land, if she can't convey clear title to it, then she isn't going to be able to convince anyone to buy it. If there are title problems, she would have to file a formal legal action called a "quiet title" action in court to have father declared the legal owner of the property before she could sell it.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks