Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

Neighbor in dc 20018 alleged that my tree roots damamged her

Customer Question
neighbor in washington dc 20018...
neighbor in washington dc 20018 alleged that my tree roots damamged her driveway
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
8/31/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Does the neighbor have any proof that it is your tree's roots that have caused her damages?

.

What is your legal question that I can help with tonight?

.

.

thanks

No the neighbor has no proof. She had a surveyor mark off property lines after she encroached on a vacant property that was sold. The property owners made her move her garden and put up a fence. I did not bother neighbor regarding property boundary strings she erected. 2 months ago the neighbor removed a privacy fence that she indicated was on her property without communicating. I said ok. On August 16 2015 she placed a no trespassing sign in my near my front yard which I found offensive as there is nothing to trespass for. I took the sign down broke it and tossed in her driveway. Later that day neighbor knocked on door which I opened looked at her and closed the door. On 8/26/15 mediation complaint received from DC Superior Court with the correct address however not the correct name of property owner. I take care 92 year old relative in the home work 60 hours a week. I have observed the neighbor to be hostile and obsessive regarding her yard however she did not put up a fence. The property is owned by my mother who is a senior citizen

Ok, if there is no proof that the tree is causing any damages, then she has no grounds to pursue a complaint. Unfortunately that doesn't mean that she can't cause problems by filing a court case against the owner of the property and allege that she has suffered damages. With that said, whoever was served the complaint would have to appear on the assigned date to address the complaint or potentially face contempt of court charges for failing to appear.

.

With that said, if the sign was placed on your property, then that is considered a trespass to property and would give you (or the property owner) grounds to file their own complaint for trespass.

.

.

thanks

Will share information with property owner and revisit on Monday.
Thank you.

You are very welcome. If you have further questions, don't hesitate to reply and I will try to get you an answer.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer