Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
8534270

I received a check of $10,000 from my sister's personal bank

Customer Question

I received a check of $10,000 from my sister's personal bank account and it noted that it was my share of the timber sale and a gift from mom. The timber was on property that is still in probate. I thought the money should have been deposited into my mother's account. My mother thinks the total amount of the timber sale was $155,000. Should I cash the check or what?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.I would cash the check here. The executor has to account for the funds, it may be a partial distribution of your share.As a gift here it would not be taxable and this may only be a partial distribution of funds.Again I would go on and deposit the check in your account here and see if you receive more funds later on.You have no risk cashing the check it was stated it was a gift here.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.

If you can leave a positive rating when we are done it is sincerely appreciated.