Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I had my water shut off due to not installing a new meter,

Customer Question
My bill is payed up...
I had my water shut off due to not installing a new meter, My bill is payed up to date. So there is nothing over due.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
8/27/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Dimitry Esquire, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney

Thank you for your post. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that your water was cut off. What specifically is your question, how can I assist you?

The water department shut my water off because I did not allow access for them to install a new meter in my house. so without warning they shut my water off. My bill has been paid up to date.There is no law that I have to have this meter installed in my house .The water department say they need it since they have fired their meter readers. I was able to talk to them to turn the water on and set a appointment for them to place the new meter but they were unable to show me the law that states I need this meter in my house. Am I in the wrong or right?

Let me check for you, especially as laws differ from location to location. Where are you located please?

I am located in Detroit MICHIGAN

I am looking at state codes and I am seeing that in 2014 Detroit's water policy was challenged but the courts found that the utility has the right to manage the service as they see fit. As such they can shut off water for multiple reasons, namely non-payment but also for lack of access when you would not permit them to install a new water meter. As it is provided by an outside entity and there is no inherent 'right' to the water (even if paid up), they can indeed terminate water access if you do not comply with their reasonable conditions, and installing a water meter is reasonable.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.

THANK YOU

You are most welcome, truly. Sorry that the answer is not as you hoped. Please let me know if I can help assist you in any other way. Otherwise, if satisfied, kindly do not forget to positively rate. Thank you!

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.

Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney